Thursday, September 25, 2008

Attitude, Obedience, Name and Action

Philippians 2:5-11...in my Ryrie, New American Standard Bible (NASB), this passage is entitled "The Epitome of Humility." The title of today's blog points out 4 key words that I encounter as I study the passage.

First, there's an Attitude. I love football, and this past Sunday I spent my birthday watching the entire Redskins game (2-1!!!), enjoying the overall aspect of the game. But more and more, I find myself fed up with the pathetic attitudes of these incredible athletes (and college isn't much better!). These guys are pushed and puffed up by coaches, scouts, media, and the fans to a point where it is nearly impossible for them to carry an attitude of humility. But Jesus, God in human form, "did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men...He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross" Philippians 2:6-8 NASB. I need to model Christ Himself much more in my life, and I need to model the lives of "manly men" less, striving to be humble.

Secondly, there is the point of Obedience. Looking back over my life, there is a pattern that was formed in my childhood of my dad trying to teach me to be obedient. Now, physically, I have always been slow (those who know me may also say mentally), but when it came time to learn lessons from dad, I was usually even slower! But, over time (and with some "encouragement" from dad), I did indeed learn to be obedient. Spiritually speaking, I can look back over my life in Christ and see the same pattern. But, over time (and with some "encouragement" from Dad) I can learn to be obedient. What an example we've been given as He was obedient to the Father, obedient to the point of death, even death on the cross!

Thirdly, there is a Name. Not just any name, but the "name which is above every name" NASB. A name is something that many people take very seriously. Right now, there are a few people close to us who are expecting, and its neat to hear them explain why they choose the names they do for their babies. As for Annette and I, since we have chosen adoption, we haven't had to do that, but I've always loved that I was named after my two grandfathers. Here, in verses 9-10, we are told that the name of Jesus is part of to process for everyone knowing who He is eventually. "That at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth."

His name will be called out, every knee will bow, and then, lastly, the Action of "every tongue confessing" that Jesus Christ is Lord will take place. Now, not just acknowledging that Jesus Christ is Lord will save "everyone." Martin Luther said that "Anyone can say that Jesus Christ is Lord, but not everyone can say 'Jesus Christ is my Lord."

Today, let's check our Attitude, making it the humble attitude of Christ. Let's be sure we are being Obedient to His Word. Let's share the Name of Christ in word and deed with those we come in contact with. And let's have the Action required by Him, to not just acknowledge He is Christ, but to acknowledge and share that He is my (our your) Christ.

PJ

No comments: