Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Philippians 1 and Facebook...

I am beginning my "blog life" today, September 17, and will be trying to blog about my quiet time each morning. This should serve as a kind of "techno accountability" for me, which I can definitely use! So, if you are extremely bored and decide to check up on me daily, PLEASE feel free to drop a note about what you read or if I miss days, ask "WHAT UP PJ (this is what the Youth call me)?!?! I have chosen to go through the book of Philippians first, commenting on each passage.



Today I'm looking at Chapter 1:1-11. Paul and Timothy are sharing about remembering, praying and rejoicing for the church in Philppi, a church that they had helped begin. As I read what they are saying, and the emotion behind it, I think I can catch at least a glimpse of what they are feeling. Now I've never started a church, but I have had the privilege of serving in a church that has grown beyond what it was while I served there. I have been part of Student Ministries that have (dare I use the term) evolved beyond what they were while I was the Shepherd.



So what does this bit of babbling have to do with the passage? I'm glad you asked. Over the past month or so I have begun using Facebook (wow, I'm so "hip and in touch!"). I've even gotten Annette to start using it...okay, so I set her page up and then told her she was on Facebook! She begrudgingly started "peeking" at it here and there, and just last night was really starting to get into it pretty well (though she will probably not admit to it!). Anywho...it has been neat to re-connect to friends from high school, college and especially friends in Christ from our stops over the past eight years. There is a feeling of anxiety that comes over me as I check out someone's Facebook from the past, especially one of our former students. The anxiety has to do with catching a glimpse of who these young people have grown up to be so far in their lives. Some are disappointing as there are obvious lacks of morals discovered by just reading their posts/responses. But more often than not, the anxiety turns to a feeling of encouragement as I find former youth who are now living Godly lives. These are times that I "bank" in my "why am I doing this ministry thing?" (other than the whole calling thing, that is!).



Those times of encouragement, I think, bring about the same emotions that Paul & Timothy are discussing here in Philippians 1:1-11. A feeling of remembering, praying and rejoicing for our friend from yesterday and years ago. Don't mistake what I'm saying...I (we, Annette & I) still pray, especially, for those who we fear are not walking with Christ, but our encouragement is built as we remember, pray for and rejoice for those who we know are trying to live a Godly life. God has allowed us to be a part of some great ministries and to invest in many people's lives.



My prayer is the same as that of Paul's when he shared in verses 9-11: "And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ; having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. NASB"

1 comment:

Jeff Semler said...

Nice posts "PJ" I feel ya as the kids would say. God through Paul really speaks to me and yes a lot of time it is convicting. Blog on Brother Joey.