Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Greater Good

Today I'm reading over Philippians 1:12-21, which has always been a passage that interests me. Specifically, the idea that peaks my interest (and down deep inside, my confusion) is Paul sharing about how some "are preaching Christ even from envy and strife, but some also from good will," and then in verse 18 he shares, "What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice. NASB"

This idea of the "greater good" principle, found in verse 12, confuses and frustrates me often times on a personal, honest level. As I enjoy listening, watching and studying other Preachers, I find it hard, on one hand, to understand how God is so open to His name being preached that men and women who are found out to be involved in things that are blatently against all that He is are still used to further the Gospel. Though, even as I type this, I am round-house kicked to the head by the Spirit pointing out that in my life, there are many times when I am leading Worship or teaching when my daily walk is not where it should be. OUCH! There is great accountability on both hands, and this serves as a great warning and reminder to me as I strive to be used by God.

May I (and we, for those reading this who are Christ followers) desire to be those of whom Paul speaks in verse 16, who preach Christ "out of love."

PJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the Quest Study Bible, it gives this view of the verse, 'Paul was tolerant toward preachers whose hearts were not entirely pure(v.15)--but who preached Christ, nonetheless. He was not indifferent toward false teaching, nor was he excusing immoral or hateful behavior. But he knew that Christ could be preached even out of the mixed motives found in imperfect human beings. What really matterd, Paul insisted, was that Christ was preached.'
Then in Isaiah 55:11, '...so is my word that goes out from my mouth: it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.' I think our Father sums it up there! Welcome to the blogging world, Pastor Joey!