Saturday, September 20, 2008

Can I Really Say This?

Today's passage is partially another glance at Thursdays. Philippians 1:19-26 is one of the most poignant passages that I find in all of Scripture. Paul shares that he knows that rejoicing in Christ for using the sharing of the Gospel by whoever may share it will certainly "turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ. (NKJV)"

Paul goes on to share that he has an "earnest expectation and hope" (NKJV) that he will not be ashamed because of how he shares this Gospel, but that instead, Christ will be magnified in his life or in his death. WOW!! As if the fact that he so desperately wanted God to use him whether it be while he lived or in his death, he continues with one of the most powerful statements I can imagine being said: "For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain." (NKJV) Did we catch that? Paul was so focused on what he was doing to further the Gospel that he no longer held the life he lived in this world in a higher regard than the eternal life he knew was to come.

Herein lies the challenge for me today...can I really say (and MEAN it) that for me to live, as I am living, my entire life's focus is Christ? And can I say (and MEAN it) that to die is to truly live? At least I know about me, that it is easy some days to verbally proclaim that I am okay with whether or not God decides to make today my last on this earth. BUT (everybody say "that's a big 'ole but!"), as I closely consider where I am in Christ, I am challenged with how my life has affected the furtherance of the Gospel, and also, how my death might do the same.

These thoughts from Paul help to motivate me every time I read them. To constantly review my life, every aspect, and change those things that need to be brought in line with where Christ is calling me to live. He is in control, He knows the number of days appointed for me, and He is the One who draws me and keeps me in Him. May we all be challenged today to have this attitude in regards to this day: "For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain." (NKJV)

PJ

No comments: