Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Who Are You "Likeminded" With?

Yes, I realize that the title for today's blog is grammatically incorrect...oh well! The question, though, is one that we all need to consider, and today's passage, Philippians 2:19-24, gives us some great food for thought.

A few things pop into my mind as I read through the passage, the first being an overwhelming sense that Paul continually cared more about others than himself. Just knowing about all the trials Paul faced for the cause of spreading the Gospel of Christ shows that he cared about others...especially the spiritual state of others. He was shipwrecked, stoned and left for dead, bitten by vipers, and arrested over and over...all for his faith in Jesus Christ! How often do we get depressed or upset because someone even says something that makes us "feel" bad or embarrassed about our faith? Paul never lost the focus, or the "why," of what he did. Even as he sat in chains here in Philippians 2:19, awaiting the verdict of his trial, he says that he trusts in the Lord that he will be able to send Timothy to them soon to tell of his verdict, but that he, Paul, may be encouraged when he know their state. He's concerned for the church over himself.

He shares in the next few verses about how "there is no one likeminded who will care for your (the church's) state. For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus." NKJV This resonates with my spirit today as I am as frustrated as everyone else about the state of our country, especially over the "bailout" news of the past days. I get so tired of hearing people go on and on about the country's woes, the financial turmoil, the bickering between parties and so on. I get even more frustrated when Christians allow their life's focus and worries to be consumed by these fleeting things, while there seems to be such a lack of true concern over things of Christ! I know, I'm a preacher, I'm "supposed" to be worried about souls...but the last time I checked the never-changing Word of God, we, as Christians, are ALL ministers of the Gospel!

Paul's emphasis throughout this passage is more of a positive message, attesting to Timothy's strong character and willingness to serve Christ. I'm not trying to change the text to fit my "agenda," but God's Word speaks to us, I'm convinced, at different times and stages of our lives. His Word has been speaking to me lately in a way that has challenged me to keep my focus "not on things of this earth, but on things above," as Paul wrote in Colossians 3:2.

May we all consider today whom we are "likeminded" with. Not that we shouldn't care about things happening in our world right now, but may we all strive to be most likeminded with Christ. There is a Contemporary Christian song out right now by Brandon Heath called "Give Me Your Eyes," and the chorus says:
"Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the once forgotten"

A great challenge for us today...to see as the Apostle Paul saw, and even moreso as our Lord Jesus Christ sees.

PJ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this post Joey. That song is a good one, it reminds of my Ethiopia trip theme song "Open the Eyes of My Heart". My earnest prayer for that trip was to go and experience God at work, for me to see as He sees. I had to deliberately abandon my own personal desires of going because I like to travel and sight see. It is so amazing how our lives really are better off when we put others first and follow Christ's examples.

Unknown said...

Thanks Steve, I want to get you to share about your trip with the youth in the future. Thanks, too, for being willing to see the need with our Student Ministries!