Thursday, October 2, 2008

Counting It All As Loss...

Today we're hitting Philippians Chapter 3, and I just can't find a good way to split the first 14 verses up, so, since this is my blog, I will share some thoughts from Phil. 3:1-14, using the NASB.

As a Youth Pastor, it's always great (especially with Junior High boys) when verses talking about circumcision come up, and I love to draw them pictures...just kidding! Sometimes it's a bit of a challenge to get them to take their focus off of it to look at the big picture. The big picture here is that Paul is warning the believers at Philippi to beware of those "legalists," those who like to attach conditions onto our Salvation for it to be "real." Legalism through the years has been seen in forms such as ladies having to wear dresses to church, insisting on a particular version of the Bible for legitimate conversion/growth in Christ, having to be a member of a particular church (church membership and attendance is very important in the growth of a believer and it is desired of you by Christ, though not necessary for salvation). I have very little tolerance for legalism, and instead would desire to put my energy into sharing with individuals how the Bible teaches us to live while having freedom in Christ.

Paul goes on to share that if these legalists think that they are qualified to require certain elements for believer, he is even more qualified if he so chose (verses 4-6). But Paul didn't have the time nor patience to mess around "proving" his qualifications, stating instead in verse 7 that "...whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ." He also shares that he counts "all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...," in verse 8.

This week has certainly caused us all to consider our "stuff" as we've heard more about "bailouts" than I'm sure any of us care to hear. Paul's lesson here can really help us gain a proper perspective of what we have or don't have, and to also consider how much we worry about decisions we've made in the past and how they are affecting our lives now. Paul's words in verses 13-14 are some of the most powerful in Scripture, I believe, as he shares: "...one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." WOW! Do I have regrets about past decisions? YES! But, I don't let the past control my future...I am striving toward that prize of the call of God in Christ Jesus.

Today, there may be consequences you're living with that are directly caused by past decisions. Don't let Satan convince you that those decisions are "who you are." If (yes, IF) you have given your life to Christ, His blood has covered the stupidest (actual Youth Pastor word) of decisions, and He will take any consequences from your past and work them out for His good purposes. If anyone would ever like to discuss what salvation or "giving your life to Christ" means, please contact me, as I would love to share with you what the Bible says about these most important things mean.

PJ

No comments: