Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Do You Have Peace In Your Circumstances?

Philippians 4:10-23 is our text for today, as we finish looking at Paul's letter to the church at Philppi. Still praying about where to go tomorrow.

I don't think I could have planned out a better sequence of Study for "such a time as this (Bailouts, Stock Market fluctuation, Foreclosures, Mergers, etc.)," as we look at what Paul is sharing through today's passage. His words in verse 11, I'm sure, are a lesson we all can use more work on today: "Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am." He goes on to share that he's lived in prosperity, in humble means, he's been "full," and he's gone hungry. The secret to living through whatever circumstance we are facing today is the truth that comes in verse 13 (a truth that is often taken out of context), as he says he "can do all things [those times he just shared in the previous verses] through Him who strengthens me." That is awesome! Now, I'm not trying to give the impression that my focus is always the same as Paul's is here, but I can truly say that God has broken me in many areas of my life in this sense. Do I still want certain materialistic things? YES (any plasma screen tv donations will be accepted)! But, He has shown me over and over that if I am really trying to live a life that is Christ focused, there are certainly many things that I can (and for me, SHOULD) do without...things that will only remove my focus from Him.

I have been blessed tremendously by God. Our family has lived with more stuff at some times than at others. Annette and I often reminisce about our time when we lived in Lynchburg as I attended Seminary (GO FLAMES!! 5-0, #16 this week!). We had less, materially, than we've ever had before, but the 1-1/2 years we were there were just incredible times for our family. Now, I'm not saying that the less you have the happier you will be, but no matter how much you have, if your focus is not on Christ and His plan for your life, you will NOT be satisfied!

Paul closes his letter by thanking the church at Philippi for all the support they have given him over the years. Paul shares that there were times when he was glad to receive a gift from them, but for their good, as the gift given to him in the name of Christ would be "profit which increased their account." He indeed was glad for the support given, and as they gave sacrificially, he knew that "God would supply all their needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus."

Our challenge today: Am I living contently with what I have? Are there things in my life that are causing me to lose my focus of Christ that need to go? Am I giving as Christ is leading me to give (time, talents, treasures)?

Let me know if you have any feedback.
Serving Him,
PJ

No comments: