Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hypocrisy and the Christian...

Today we will look at Romans 2:17-29. Yesterday, Paul was speaking against those who we would consider "Moralists," meaning they lived as "good" people, doing what was moral, but never giving their lives over to God as Christ Followers. In today's passage, Paul was speaking against the Jewish believer who thought that their "Jewishness" (not a real theological term) made them "better" than the Gentile believers (those like you and I who are not of Jewish descent, though very welcome into a relationship with God through Jesus). Paul tells them that they are nothing more than a hypocrite!

Let me share with you that the excuse I hear more often than any other for why people are not ready to become Christ Followers (a Christian) is because they view all professing Christians as hypocrites. Because someone who either was a Christian or even claimed to be one treated them terribly, folks are ready to write off what a true Christian is forever. Man does that really get me fired up! If I were to develop this same attitude (I pray I NEVER do!), then I would need to just stop showing up to the church building every morning...especially on Sundays, because I "feel" let down all the time by people. If you are basing your perception of what a Christian should or should not be on anything other than God's Word and the example given us through Jesus' earthly living, YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED! Maybe not right away, maybe not next month, but eventually, humans will be humans, we will sin, and you will be let down. If you're foolish enough to believe that the born again believer never sins, you will quickly learn otherwise...not because I say so, but because it's what God's Word tells us, too.

One of Paul's lessons through this passage, I believe, is that it's not about saying the right thing, but then doing whatever else you want to do. It's not about doing the right thing, while, at the same time, saying what ever you choose about or judging others. Being a true Christian means living for Christ inwardly, walking the walk outwardly, and seeking praise not from men, but instead from God. If you need to be reminded about some of what we shouldn't be involved in, check Monday's passage, especially 1:28-32.

Are you walking with Christ today? Are you plugged in to a Bible believing, Bible teaching local church? If not, why...I can tell you it is absolutely God's desire that you be plugged in, learning more about Him, sharing life together with those who share the same love of God. If you need help finding a strong church, drop me a note and let me know, I'd be glad to do some research for you and your family.

Meet you here tomorrow!
In Christ,
PJ

1 comment:

Dan Pritchett said...

Nice to catch your blog. Was talking with a lady on Sunday who had a neighbor who told her that he didn't go to church because there were too many hypocrites. Her response... "well, we have room for one more." She went on to tell me that he has since come to Christ - blessings to you!