Monday, October 13, 2008

Ramen Noodle Prayers...

I'm beginning today on what promises to be a lengthy journey, spiritually speaking, as I endeavor to study my way through the book of Romans. This letter, found in the New Testament, was written by Paul, one of the people I can't wait to sit and talk with when we meet in heaven. I am looking at the verses 1-17 today (and possibly tomorrow!).

As I read through the beginning of this incredible writing, along with some notes about the book, I find myself really hit with a few things right away. First of all, Warren Wiersbe (an incredible man of God and noted Theologian) shares the following: "Imagine! You and I can read and study the same inspired letter that brought life and power to [Martin] Luther and [John] Wesley! And the same Holy Spirit who taught them can teach us! You and I can experience revival in our hearts, homes, and churches if the message of this letter grips us as it has gripped men of faith in centuries past." WOW! God's Word is never changing and it saved these men who helped shape modern Christianity just like it has the saving power to save you and I today.

Verse 9 has also jumped off the pages at me today. Paul says: "For God, whom I serve in my spirit in the preaching of the gospel of His Son, is my witness as to how unceasingly I make mention of you..." The thought that passes through my mind is this...how often do we come in contact with someone who shares a struggle or situation they are facing, and we throw out the ever famous Christian tag line: "I'll be praying for you." I know that I am guilty of this very thing many, many times. Guilty, you ask? Yes, guilty of serving up some really cheap lip service which never gets followed through on! I'm talking about Ramen Noodle (Brian's favorite lunch), 10 cents a pack cheap! What has occurred to me today (man, I'm glad I've got this pretty, fancy degree hanging on my wall) is that, what if God was called as a witness about my prayer faithfulness (or lack thereof)?!?

Paul is bold enough to use God as a witness of his prayers! I added the note in my Bible: "to be able to call God as a witness to our prayers is an awesome thought--and an awesome warning that God would not lie for me. How often do I say I'll pray for others but then don't follow through?" Not that I intentionally don't or refuse to pray for others...I mean I've got important life stuff happening that takes up a lot of time. I've got a new episode of "The Biggest Loser" or "Monk" to watch...they could be life changing!

This past week has been (and is being) another lesson in life for Annette and I. Last week, I had an MRI on my neck and shoulder that have been bothering me for a while, and I went to the doctor on Thursday to talk about the results. The MRI showed the discs are fine and my pain is most likely just muscular. The doctor went on to say that the MRI did show an enlarged lymph node in my neck, and that I should have a CT Scan with the dye to find out why it is enlarged. I had the CT Scan on Friday morning, and we're still waiting for the results of that scan. The range of emotions has been incredible, but trust in God and His plan for my life has not been questioned once. Outcomes could range from a simple infection to who knows what...so we wait. We've shared this with many folks at church and some family, asking for prayer as we seek God's will to be done. And now, as I study Paul's writing today, I realize that many who I've spoken with over the past few days are serving up the same "Ramen Noodle" prayer offerings that I have been often guilty of.

Now, I trust you will not completely write me off as a phony, thinking that I never spend time in prayer with my Father, because that is not the case. But, for those times that I have forgotten, gotten too busy, or have just dropped the ball in lifting up requests...I apologize and I WILL PRAY FOR REPENTANCE!!

Pray for those you've offered to pray for right now, before life crowds out the opportunity, and spend some time reading over the first part of Romans as we will dig deeper tomorrow. Have a blessed day!

PJ

No comments: